Three Market-Ready Solutions Transforming the Banking & Financial Industry
By Magadi Madhusudhan, Consulting Partner & Thought Leader, Managing Director
There is no denying that the Banking and Financial Services (BFS) industry is already transforming with the revolutionary power of Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML). These cutting-edge technologies are driving a digital banking revolution, allowing financial institutions to unleash the full potential of enterprise data and deliver a secure and efficient banking experience for consumers and businesses alike. In this article, we will explore how the BFS industry is already leveraging the power of AI and ML to create innovative business models and unlock new opportunities.
Three areas where BFS leaders are leveraging data, AI, and ML to solve industry challenges
The BFS industry is facing numerous challenges, such as fraud protection, credit scoring, customer service, trading, and loan processing. Currently, the BFS industry has prioritized leveraging data to enhance customer experiences, improve security and compliance, and increase business resiliency through optimization, cost reduction, and efficiency. There are three primary market-available solutions that showcase the effective use of data, AI, and ML.
1. Delivering Elevated Customer Experiences
- Personalized Banking and Financial products: AI enables the design of financial products tailored to individual customer needs, such as custom-tailored advice or products based on spending habits, savings, and financial goals. This improves customer satisfaction and loyalty. For example, one top U.S. global bank is currently using computer vision algorithms — a subdiscipline of AI that enables computer systems to analyze and interpret visual information — to process visual data sets and enhance operations.
- Robo-advisors and Real-time analytics for wealth management: Automated, data-driven advice on investing and wealth management is offered through robo-advisors. AI can predict which products or services customers are interested in. Optimizing marketing campaigns allows leaders to analyze market conditions, historical data, and individual financial situations to provide personalized investment strategies. One leading investment and securities firm and two of the top three U.S. global banks have successfully implemented these approaches to leverage classification and anomaly detection techniques that enhance client experiences.
2. Upholding Security and Compliance
- Fraud detection and prevention: ML algorithms trained on vast datasets can quickly identify unusual patterns and behaviors, enabling banks to detect fraudulent activity in real-time.
- Regulatory compliance and monitoring: The heightened regulatory environment requires banks to review and document interactions and correspondences amongst parties involved in today’s transactions. Computer vision techniques that leverage AI for the interpretation of visual data help eliminate human error and collate responses through automation to meet those regulatory obligations (e.g., Consent Order, Matter Requiring Attention (MRA), and Matter Requiring Immediate Attention (MRIA).
- Credit risk modeling: ML algorithms can improve credit risk assessment by considering a broader set of variables, large language models (LLM) and feature embedding in datasets. This leads to more accurate credit scoring and fewer defaults.
3. Bolstering Business Resiliency
- Enhanced security: Biometric verifications like voice, face, and fingerprint recognition can be deployed for better security in online transactions and banking operations.
- Portfolio management: ML algorithms can constantly monitor and adjust portfolios based on market conditions, ensuring optimized returns for customers.
- Optimizing trading strategies: High-frequency trading firms can use AI to devise new trading strategies and refine existing ones based on vast amounts of market data.
- Financial forecasting: AI can predict macroeconomic trends using vast datasets, aiding in strategic planning and decision-making.
Tap into a wealth of new opportunities with a tailored data and AI strategy
It is evident that AI and ML technologies have the potential to revolutionize the Banking and Financial Services Industry, delivering improved efficiency, better user experiences, enhanced security, and more effective decision-making. Moving from ML to AI is a journey that requires a level of maturity, including talent, domain knowledge and data science expertise.
NTT DATA is a $30 billion trusted global innovator of IT and business services. We help clients transform through business and technology consulting, industry and digital solutions, applications development and management, managed edge-to-cloud infrastructure services, BPO, systems integration and global data centers. We are committed to our clients’ long-term success and combine global reach with local client service in over 80 countries.
Visit our banking & financial services consulting webpage to learn more.